From the Committee
I am sure that you have all seen the announcement of the sad passing of Trace Allen. Trace was our New Members Officer for many years and for most of us the first person we met when joining the club. He greeted everyone on their first day at Tri-Force and was always smiling whilst offering friendship, encouragement and advice on how to get involved in the club. He will be much missed and our thoughts and sympathy are with his family. Rest in peace Trace (11 November 1944 – 25 May 2017).
We are collecting memories and tributes to Trace to be part of a Book of Condolence for his family. If you would like to contribute to this, please send your thoughts to Heather Hobbs at email@example.com as soon as possible.
On a more cheerful note, early in May we hosted our HSV race and once again received glowing feedback from competitors and the BTF officials alike. The fact that this is such a successful event is largely down to the support and enthusiasm of the marshals. Thanks for your continued support and a reminder that marshals will be needed for the September race on 17th September…. Put the date in your diary and please let Dawn know asap that you are available so she can have a stress free summer!
That brings us to a further reminder that membership fees were due at the end of February. If you have yet to renew you can do so at the ATW site here
Finally, don’t forget to stay safe out there and look out for each other.
There are club WhatsApp groups for those interested in swims at the Blue Lagoon and also groups for Sunday bike rides and Saturday runs. The bike rides have started informally each Sunday from the Quadrant in Marshalswick St Albans. Keep an eye on Facebook and the forum for further details.
Before the swim session at Hatfield Sports Village on Thursday 8th June, we will have Howard from Zone 3 joining us with a range of wetsuits and triathlon kit for members to view and try on. Wetsuits can be tried in the pool too. There will be discounts of up to 25% off and kit will be available to purchase on the evening & anything not in stock can be ordered. If you have not tried on a wetsuit or are uncertain what to look for, this is an ideal opportunity to try some out.
He will be set up from 19:00 – 20:00 in the classroom upstairs at HSV so come along early to see the offer.
There will also be a few free goodie bags to go with selected purchases.
A bumper crop of results this month:
- 1 May Milton Keynes Half Marathon: Linda Pollard 02:04:59.
- 6 May Club Duathlon: Adrian James 01:07:54, Kevin Walden 01:08:05, Chris Brown 01:14:03, Michael Cloke 01:17:31, Richard Davis 01:18:49, Stephen Honey 01:28:15, David Clayton 01:28:27, Darrin Dexter 01:28:27, Laura Addie 01:16:57, Jemma Millar 01:33:11
- 7 May HSV: Karen Murphy 01:13:20 (1st in AG), Marcin Milosz 01:19:01, Carlo Cetin 01:17:50, Heather Carter 01:24:44 (1st in AG)
- 13 May Stanborough Aquathlon Race 1: Terry Bonnett 00:29:39 (1st overall), Laura Addie 00:33:49 (1st female), Michael Cloke 00:34:02 (1st in AG), Tom Oliver 00:38:31, Kevin Payne 00:39:45
- 14 May ‘Where’ Triathlon: Matt Lambden 01:02:18, Kevin Walden 01:03:58, Stuart Clark 01:09:25, Derek Fowler 01:11:00, Richard Davis 01:12:03, Simon Perkins 01:16:41, Stephen Honey 01:18:25, Marcin Milosz 01:18:54, Dani Pruett 01:23:03, Ian Hutchinson 01:24:35, Geoff Morgan 01:27:27
- 21 May Grafman Middle Distance; Gary Kellett 04:52:10, Mike Trotman 05:27:12, Graeme Mctait 05:35:04, Dani Pruett 06:15:37, Stephen Honey 06:21:00, Paul Jordan 06:26:22
- 21 May Eton Dorney ITU Sprint: Laura Addie 01:09:08 (2nd in AG), Kevin Walden 01:10:34, Michael Cloke 01:14:19, Francesca Durbin 01:14:35, Karen Murphy 01:17:34, Piers Johnson 01:22:04, Garry Walton 01:32:56
- 21 May Eton Dorney Sprint: Mark Herlihy 01:17:19, Colm Horgan 01:19:08, Chris Mitchell 01:29:50
- 21 May Evans Ride it Hatfield Short: Heather Carter 02:21:31
- 21 May Evans Ride it Hatfield Long: Chris Brown 05:09:20, Heather Hobbs 05:34:11, Geoff Morgan 06:44:46
- 28 May Herts Triathlon (Sprint): Kevin Walden 01:12:36 (1st in AG), Chris Brown 01:12:55, Adrian James 01:14:49 (1st in AG), Sean Jennings 01:14:56, Stuart Clark 01:19:29, Graeme McTait 01:23:04, Heather Carter 01:39:26, Geoff Morgan 01:45:40, Amy Lednor 01:47:17
- 28 May Herts Triathlon (Standard): Paul Hewett 02:22:43, Carol Reid 03:35:21, Michelle Rose 03:01:06
- 28 May Hercules Northwood Sprint Tri: Dan Clarke 01:19:12 (1st in AG), Barry McMahon 01:39:27
- 28 May Tour de Essex: Darrin Dexter 06:45:03, Gary Kellett 06:44:28
Don't forget to submit your race report on the forum to be included in the club annual competition. Action shots below of Graeme at the Herts Tri & Gary finishing Grafman, both resplendent in club kit.
If there are any other results that have been inadvertently missed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can be included in a future newsletter.
Don’t forget to add your races to the spreadsheet on the web by clicking here. A great way to find out if there are any other Tri-Force members at your races. You can still of course use the forum or Facebook for updates. Also don’t forget to post your race reports also on the forum or Facebook.
- 4 June – Henley Triathlon, Blenheim Tri
- 10 June – Buttertubs Sportive, ETU 70.3 Championships, ITU Triathlon Leeds
- 11 June – Ironman 70.3 Switzerland, St Albans Half Marathon
- 17 June – Stanborough Aquathlon
- 18 June – Ironman 70.3 Staffordshire, Windsor Tri, ETU Sprint & Standard Championships
- 25 June – Ironman 70.3 UK, St Neots Tri, Welwyn 10k
- 2 July – 3 Counties Sportive
- 8 July – Grafham Water Swims, Bananaman Tri
- 9 July – Run Grafham Challenge, Hever Castle Long Distance Triathlon
- 16 July – Bosworth Tri
- 23 July - Redbourn Road Ride Sportive, London Tri, Outlaw, Castle Howard Tri’s
There has been some recent research into the best treadmills currently available in the market. If you are looking at treadmills a good place to start would be the article at http://www.reviews.com/treadmills/. This gives interesting insights into what’s available and what to look out for.