From the Committee
As the nights draw in and the clocks go back, now is good time to look back and celebrate the 2016 race season with your club mates. Please come and join the committee and your club mates for informal drinks from 7pm on Friday 25th November at the White Lion pub in St Albans. There will be a kitty (money, not a cat!) behind the bar so come along and celebrate with us. It gives you a chance to scrub up and meet your club mates in clothes other than a swim suit, training or race gear, although if the fancy takes you ……
Congratulations to those who participated in Ironman World Championships in Kona at the start of October, the pro races were won by the pre-race favourites Jan Frodeno and Daniella Ryf, but much more notable were the performances of our own Tanja Slater (11th in AG) and Rav Dighe, who also competed and completed the race. Belated congratulations are also due to Terry Bonnett who competed in the ITU World Aquathlon Championships at Cozumel in Mexico in September. Their respective times are shown below, well done to all of you.
Happy racing in what’s left of the year and look out for each other.
New Members: A warm welcome to the following new members who joined the club in the last month: Natalie Green, Jemma Millar, Alexander Hutchings, Astrid Rees and Rebecca Pritchard.
2017 Race Series: The committee have decided to do things a little differently for the 2017 race series: to be eligible, you will need to compete in at least one of the following:
- The Where Triathlon - May 14th
- Hertfordshire Club Sprint Championships - May 28th
- Hertfordshire Club Olympic Championships - August 20th
- The Club Championships - September 10th
All multisport events (Triathlon, Duathlon, Aquabike or Swim-Run) will count to the final result and for each race you compete in you will receive 10 points when you submit a race report, with a full or half IM scoring 20 points. Marshals at either of the club HSV races will score an extra 10 points
Winter training: Spinning & circuits have now started for the winter and take place on a Tuesday and Wednesday at Fitness First, Christopher Place in St Albans. Spinning is with Lottie and Sarah on a Tuesday at 7.45pm. Circuits is with Angela and Chris on a Wednesday at 8.15pm
These are both great sessions and a good way to maintain your base fitness over the winter. Come along and give them a try.
Although the main triathlon race season draws to a close there were some strong Tri-Force performances over the last month. As we head into winter and the number of marathons & duathlons increases, please continue to post on the forum which races you have entered and how you got on. As announced above and elsewhere, each race report on the forum will count towards the 2017 race series. Alternatively email them to email@example.com and they will then be published in a future newsletter.
- 14 Sept – ITU Aquathlon World Championships, Cozumel: Terry Bonnett (6th in AG, 1st Brit) 00:35:05
- 25 Sept – Hever Castle Olympic: Dani Pruett 03:31:51, Kate Gardner 03:48:58
- 25 Sept - L’Etape London Sportive: Mark Harris (92 mile route) 06:00:00, Geoff Morgan (116 mile route) 08:01:59
- 30 Sept – Ironman Croatia 70.3 – Mark Taplin 05:38:24
- 8 Oct – The Bison Duathlon, Chris Brown 03:07:25, Nick Clarke 03:46:52
- 8 Oct - Ironman World Championships at Kona: Tanja Slater 10:38:52 (11th in AG), Rav Dighe 14:12:28
- 9 Oct – Royal Parks Half Marathon: Dani Pruett 01:54:40 (new PB)
- 6 Nov – Stevenage Half Marathon, Hillingdon Winter Duathlon, Rockingham Duathlon
- 12 Nov – Winter Ballbuster Duathlon
- 13 Nov – Stratford Velopark Women’s Duathlon
- 19 Nov – Autumn Classic Windsor Duathlon
- 20 Nov – Stewartby Lake Duathlon, Essex Season Ender Sportive, Velopark Falling Leaves Duathlon
- 27 Nov - Owler Marathon
- 18 Dec - VeloPark Shortest Day Duathlon
- 22 Jan 2017 – Fred Hughes 10 mile
- 5 Feb 2017 – Watford Half Marathon
There may well be other events that people have entered. If so, please update the post on the forum so your club mates can look out & shout for you.