Indoor swimming runs throughout the year:
- Monday’s swimming is based at St Albans Boys School. (The whole pool) 7.45 – 9.15 p.m. (presently suspended due to covid restrictions)
- Thursday’s swimming is based at Hertfordshire Sports Village (HSV). Limited to 4 lanes 8.30 – 9.30 p.m. Members need to book.
- Members are seeded in lanes based on ability.
- Members receive coaching for technique and stroke analysis
Open Water Swimming (Summer)
There are a number of locations for open water swimming in Hertfordshire and the surrounding area. Some locations offer coached sessions.
- Blue Lagoon open water swimming, Takes place during the summer months on Saturday mornings 7 – 8 a.m. and on Tuesday mornings 6.30 – 7.30 a.m. Rules include you must be able to swim 800m confidently and be a British Triathlon member. Inductions are required with the Head Coach. Members need to book their slots and fill in the disclaimers.
- Stanborough Lake open water swimming. Open for swimming on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings, April to September. Tri-Force usually meet as a group in the Summer months on a Wednesday evening for coached swimming sessions.
- Denham open water swimming, (see website)
- Box End open water swimming, (see website)
- Datchet open water swimming, (see website)
Pool Swimming: Season Periodisation
The training for triathlon swim sessions are broken down into 3 periods of the year:
- October to January: Off-season (strength and endurance)
- January to April: Pre-season training (pace control, speed work and tempo workouts)
- April to September: Speed work
October to January
During this time focus will be mainly on strength and endurance and the programmes with lots of drills to work on technique. This time is often referred to as base training as it lays the foundations for training in pre- season and race season training.
January to April
The emphasis on pace control, speed work and tempo workouts.
April to September
Faster paced work will continue through the race season from late April to September to support you with race preparation.
Workouts should be tapered before you target races and if you are new to triathlon the coaches will be able to help you with planning this.
Obviously as you are targeting different races the training plans have to continue at the same level throughout the season.
Programmes are on a 4 weekly cycle- three hard weeks, one easy week to allow for adaptations to your body to take place. In order to get the full benefit of the training cycle you should attend regularly.
Each programme does have type i.e. muscular endurance, speed etc written in the top right corner.